It’s been a rainy month. Enough to cause some flooding, which has been useful in showing us where we can dig our shovels in to make improvements in our pasture drainage next summer. Believe it or not, come August the main creek that runs through our property will be bone dry, so I’ve been trying to take as much footage as I can to use as a reference for later.
We had a decent wind storm come through a week or two ago, which knocked down a couple trees on the property. One of these is down by the creek, and I’ve been taking the kids there every day to climb on it like a jungle gym. I’ll be sad once we finally have to clean up the mess, but we’ll have to move it out of the way so we can mow the grass down eventually.
As for our pullets, they have grown so much that we had to build a second brooder in the goat barn to give them more space, and now we’re rushing to build a chicken tractor so we can get them outside on grass. I suppose we could put a few of the new birds in with our older hens, but the ChickShaw we built is only made to hold 16 or so birds total, so we really need a second setup. I imagine we’ll be sharing what we’re building for that with you soon.
Aside from building chicken tractors, we’d like to focus on rebuilding the front porch as our next big project, which is where we’re planning to house our angora rabbits. Not that I don’t love having two bucks indoors (/s), but it gets a bit much. I’d eventually like to bring a doe home too, but we’ll have to wait until we have the space for her. We were supposed to start on the porch project last week, but as you’ll see in the video below, we ran into some unexpected problems. So it goes.